What is Botox used for?
Although here at Oxford Medical Aesthetics have used Botox in our Oxford and Cincinnati office for cosmetic reasons, there are several FDA approved uses for Botox in the “therapeutic” category. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved for it to be used for other treatments such as:
- Strabismus (crossed eyes)
- Chronic Migraines
- Blepharospasm (eyelid spasms)
- Cervical dystonia (neurological movement disorder)
- Primary focal hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Overactive bladder
In a majority of therapeutic uses, medical providers are using dosages that are well above the dosages used for cosmetic reasons
How long does Botox last?
A single Botox treatment can last up to 4 months, depending on several factors, but some individuals can get more than 4 months from a single treatment.
What age should you start getting Botox?
There is no set age or appropriate time to get a Botox treatment. However, we adhere to FDA guidance and only treat patients over the age of 18.
More and more younger patients (i.e., patients in their 20’s) are beginning to get Botox. This is primarily due to the preventative effects the treatment has on developing lines and wrinkles in the future.
What to do before getting a Botox
While it is important that thorough research is done before undergoing a Botox treatment, it is equally important to do the procedure at the right place and with the right doctor. Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
- Research and physically visit the clinic you want to get the treatment done
- Thoroughly check online reviews and doctor’s history – best if the doctor has done a Botox injection before
- Have a personalized consultation including revealing any medical conditions